Performance Fitness owner and senior trainer Michelle Collier started exercising as part of her own weight loss program well over a decade ago. Through dedication and hard work, she transformed not only her body but her life, ultimately inspiring her to share her love of health and fitness with others. Her biggest motivators to stay fit and healthy, besides her rambunctious two-year old son, are her clients. And of course there’s that feeling of inner and outer strength she gets from working out.
A former opera singer, Michelle is certified as a personal trainer and group fitness instructor through ACE, a kettlebell instructor through RKC and SFG, with additional certifications from TRX, FMS and Classical Mat Pilates. Michelle is also an accomplished amateur kickboxer who trained extensively in Bando, a Burmese martial art.
Michelle’s attention to form and detail promise a safe, challenging workout that will supply you with energy, confidence, a positive spirit, and undeniably improve your physical appearance. Her humor and genuineness permeate every one of her sessions and classes, whether boot camp, personal training, kettlebells or TRX. She encourages her clients to eat clean 80% of the time, workout most days of the week, lift heavy for their individual fitness levels, and lead an active life.
In her (scant) spare time she enjoys reading, hiking and gardening, hanging out with her husband or doing anything active with her son, but then, that’s not technically “spare” time.
Questions for Michelle:
- If you could only do one movement/exercise/lift what would it be? Oh, can I pick 2? Deadlifts and swings.
- Top 3-5 songs on your workout playlist:
- “Nasty Girl” by Nitty
- “B.Y.O.B.” by System of a Down
- “Can I Have it Like That?” (Instrumental version) by Pharrell
- “Here I Come” by The Roots
- Any song by Rage Against the Machine. (I think I may have anger issues)
- Favorite post workout meal: Anything with protein and veggies cooked in coconut oil with a side of fruit.
- Favorite quote: OK, I have two: “Be the change you want to see in the world” (Gandhi) and “Eat your elephant one bite at a time”
- Favorite book: The Joy Luck Club
- Bacon or ice cream? I’m a salty-sweet girl so I’ve gotta say bacon flavored ice cream.*
(*Editor’s note—Sounds good to us!)